All students deserve to have their identity respected.
This interactive toolkit is for LGBTQ+ students, parents, educators, and allies dedicated to LGBTQ+ rights in Virginia’s at K-12 public schools. For decades, Virginia LGBTQ+ rights advocates have organized and advocated for their rights in every space, including education. All youth, including LGBTQ+ youth, deserve and have the right to safe, affirming and inclusive school environments. We recognize this may not be true for many LGBTQ+ youth, especially trans youth.
- 72% of Virginia’s LGBTQ+ high school students reported being bullied.
- 40% of LGBTQ+ students reported that their school administration was somewhat or very supportive of LGBTQ+ students.
- 40% of transgender and nonbinary student were prevented from using their chosen name or pronouns.
- 31% of LGBTQ+ students had access to a GSA or similar student club.
- 16% of LGBTQ+ students were taught positive representations of LGBTQ+ people, history, or events.
Source: GLSEN School Climate for LGBTQ+ Students in Virginia
The purpose of this toolkit is to provide you with tools to make Virginia schools safer and affirming of LGBTQ+ youth.
We hope that you’ll find this toolkit to be informative and empowering and that you’ll join us in advocacy and action for Virginia LGBTQ+ students. We must all work together to ensure that LGBTQ+ students are safe, supported, and affirmed in Virginia schools.
This toolkit is a living document and intended to provide a high-level overview of current state and federal law. We will continue to monitor cases, policies, and law impacting LGBTQ+ Virginians and will update the toolkit to reflect these changes.
We cannot do this work alone. Without the experience, insight, and support of our partners, this student advocacy toolkit wouldn’t be where it is today. Many thanks to our partners at Equality Virginia, He She Ze & We, Side by Side Virginia, Pride Liberation Project, and Virginia Education Association for their contributions and expertise. Their partnership is deeply appreciated.
What you will find in this toolkit
- Know Your Rights for Students, including actions you can take.
- Know Your Rights for Parents, Educators, and Allies, including actions you can take.