The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia (ACLU-VA) is growing! The Digital Communications Manager will play a key role in advancing policy change through the ACLU of Virginia’s integrated advocacy program that seeks to protect civil rights and civil liberties through litigation, legislation, organizing, and public education. The Manager will provide essential strategic, tactical, and creative digital support to effectively advance the ACLU-VA’s mission and program priorities. The Manager is principally responsible for strategizing, operating, growing, and maintaining the ACLU-VA’s online presence across all platforms and for providing graphic design support for the affiliate. The Manager may also participate in the development of audio and video assets.
Who We Are
The ACLU-VA strives to be Virginia's premier guardian of civil liberties and a recognized champion of civil rights for all Virginians. For nearly a hundred years (50 in Virginia), the ACLU has made a profound difference in the lives of clients and community members, as well as historic contributions to our country and state. Now, more people than ever before have turned to the ACLU to fight back against unprecedented new attacks on civil rights and liberties. We are also committed to pursuing impactful policy changes at the local and statewide levels to achieve racial equity and advance civil liberties and civil rights for everyone. The ACLU-VA is committed to ending racist policing, cutting the number of people incarcerated in Virginia, increasing access to quality mental and medical care, ending sex and gender-based discrimination at work and in schools, and securing a constitutional right to vote for everyone.
What You'll Do
You'll help us protect and advance the ACLU's mission by:
- Creating strategic social media campaigns and managing the affiliate’s social media accounts, including curation of audio and video and other multimedia content;
- Engaging online followers, communities, and social influencers such as journalists, policymakers, advocates impacted voices, and celebrities;
- In cooperation with the communications, legal, advocacy, organizing and development teams, planning and curating social media content to support the organization's short and long-term policy goals across its issue areas;
- Creating impactful social media owned content strategies to support the ACLU-VA program and mission;
- Managing digital content calendar, monitoring the news cycle, and communicating relevant news affecting our internal and external stakeholders
- Creating social and digital media paid campaigns and designing web content
- Designing and producing digital and print materials; writing, designing, and producing presentations and print materials needed for speaking engagements and external events; and producing digital toolkits and other work products for public consumption
- Assisting with the organization’s communications strategy including development of communications plans, including defining appropriate audiences, messaging, and communications delivery mechanisms and assisting in developing effectiveness metrics
Who You Are
- A commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU, and to racial justice and civil rights issues and an understanding that these issues are central to the overall protection of civil liberties.
- The ability to work alone and as a part of a team with volunteers, staff, board members and the public.
- Ability to communicate and interact positively with diverse groups of people in a variety of settings.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance within the organization and the broader community.
- Strong social media competency, particularly with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tik Tok, and a curiosity to follow digital trends to stay ahead of the market.
- A keen eye for design, layout, and presentation with the ability to design visually appealing reports, publications, and presentations.
- Proficiency with office technology and information systems, including online communications, word processing, graphic design software and AV editing software and equipment.
- A confident and professional work style, superior problem-solving skills, and an ability to work creatively and independently.
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines on concurrent projects in a fast-paced, occasionally stressful rapid-response work environment.
- Willingness and availability to work occasional evenings, weekends, and/or overtime as necessary; and occasional travel in Virginia and to other states for conferences and training.
- All ACLU-VA staff must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or be approved for an accommodation for religious or medical exemption.
What Else You Should Know
The ACLU-VA is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Therefore, the ACLU-VA encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, and veteran status and commits to comply with all applicable equal opportunity and nondiscrimination laws and to refrain from unlawful discrimination.
Salary is based on market factors and individual experience and abilities. The salary range for this position $53,000 to $69,094. To preserve the opportunity for advancement, we do not typically hire above the mid-point of the range of $61,047. In addition, we offer excellent benefits include paid time off, generous paid holidays, a 401k plan with employer contribution, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, and income replacement during illness through a combination of annual sick leave, short-term and long-term disability insurance.
Due to COVID-19 and our desire to keep our employees safe, our organization is following a hybrid/remote work policy in place that offers work flexibility to all staff. This position will occasionally require a presence in the downtown Richmond office. All ACLU-VA staff members must reside within Virginia or within a 150-mile radius of our downtown Richmond office.
Please review the complete job description on our Careers page and apply from our career site. A resume and cover letter will be required. Our HR team will review applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Submit your application as soon as possible. We will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.